Friday, July 29, 2011

Day Two of Peruvian Independence Celebrations: The Parade Route


Today was the second day of the Independence celebration in Peru. As I stated before I was surprised there were two days of celebrations for Peruvian Independence Day…but I guess it is worth it.
The official military parade celebrating Peruvian Independence Day wound its way through the city today.  I watched the parade on TV today instead of braving the crowds to see the various branches of the military on parade.

I did make it to the Plaza de Armas (main square) in central Lima just before the Presidential procession moved through. The police were on full guard in downtown as newly elected (and controversial) President Ollanta Humala wound through the streets to take his place at the Presidential Palace.



I am getting to know my new country and being here for the Peruvian Independence Day(s) makes me feel just a little more like I belong in Lima.

¡Arriba Peru!

No comments:

Post a Comment