Monday, July 4, 2011

The 4th of What? Just another day in Peru.

Happy 4th of July to all the folks back home. I am in Peru where today is also the 4th of July; but it of course is not a holiday here. Peruvians celebrate independence later this month. Today, it is simply the 4th of July, just another day.

The front page news here on major paper today, El Comercio, discusses the upcoming presidency of newly elected Omanta Humala and of course as you can see below the schedule for today’s matches in the Copa America.

Today the 4th of July is like any other busy Monday in Peru.

As I walk by the university campus where I work (Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola) I see flags. Part of me looks instinctively for the US flag on the 4th of July. It is of course not there. I am in Peru. I see the university and Peruvian flags.

I have not been in the United States for many Fourth of July holidays in the last decade. I have spent most of them in Costa Rica, Nicaragua and now Peru. I am still an American at heart. A gringo if you will. Hell, I might even go to McDonalds and have a hamburger today to celebrate. Happy 4th of July from Peru.

No comments:

Post a Comment