Tuesday, July 19, 2011

I live in Perú: Near Central America

I live very near Central America. No I am not exactly geographically challenged. I know that the Peru is nowhere near Central America. I live in the Miraflores District of Lima, Perú. I am sure. What is ironic and surprising if you will is that of all the 8 million or 10 million inhabitants of Lima (depending on whose estimates you use) I live just a few block from Central America Plaza.



Why is this funny? Well not is it only geographically confusing to say I live near Central America. It is also ironic. As I have lived many years in the actual Central America, mostly recently Nicaragua but mostly in Costa Rica.

In this plaza you find all the flags for the various countries, except Belize. I do not think many people count poor Belize as Central America. Though it must be.
 The flags are not the only reminder we are now in (near) Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica & Panamá. A statue to honor General Francisco Morazan, the liberator & father of Central America also stands guard over the park.

While the food, climate, language and people are different in Lima from Central America. 

I only have a 5 minute walk from my apartment to take a short visit to my beloved Central America.

No comments:

Post a Comment