Friday, November 26, 2010

The Thanksgiving Holiday: Overeating, Football & Shopping

I find it fascinating that we in America (U.S. as all of us in the American Hemisphere are Americans) are consumed with overeating, watching college football and preparing for the next day of shopping. Happy & Fat Thursday turns into Black Friday as we run off to malls to buy things we may not need and may not be able to afford. I have to admit when it comes to college football I do fall into that category. I received my undergraduate degree from the University of Texas at Austin. Hook 'em horns! Well today those horns got snapped off by the Texas A&M Aggies. When we study culture sometimes we forget that our own culture(s) can provide for really interesting analysis. Think about it: overeating, college football and spending money we may not have. This provides an interesting viewpoint of what we value in society. I think it can be problematic but aside from the shopping (which I hope not to do) I did enjoy the holiday. Maybe next year for my Longhorns.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe next year for my cowboys too---I mean, probably not, but a gal can hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just tweeted your blog information!

    ReplyDelete